My goal for August and September is to live slowly and to enjoy the last glimmers of northwest summer. That hasn’t always worked out, but it sure came together tonight. The sky is blue, the air is soft, and an 80s cover band is playing in the park across the street. I chose the perfect night to try this burger recipe:
The recipe, from the website:
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
8 ounces ground beef
salt & pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons organic (sugar-free) Sunbutter or almond butter
1-2 scallions, green tops only, thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, mix the strawberries, lemon juice, and ginger; set aside.
2. Generously season the ground beef with salt and pepper, form into patties, and cook your favorite way. I like to grill them on the gas grill so they’re crispy on the outside, but pan fried would be really tasty, too.
3. While the burgers are cooking, heat a small saucepan over medium-high. Pour the strawberries and their juice into the pan and sauté the berries until they’re very soft and syrupy. They should be reduced to about 1/4 cup. Allow to cool a bit.
4. Put the Sunbutter in a microwave-safe dish and heat until thinned, about 40 seconds.
5. When the burgers are done, top each with 1 tablespoon of melted Sunbutter and 1-2 tablespoons of the strawberry “jelly,” then sprinkle with scallions.
And . . . here it is (on my patio with a side of sweet potato fries):
This recipe was easy for an after-work dinner, and the sauteed strawberry “jelly” was light and summery. The sauteed strawberries would be great on pork chops, too.
Now, get outside and enjoy the summer!